Less is More - O F.O.R.O.
Gostaria de reagir a esta mensagem? Crie uma conta em poucos cliques ou inicie sessão para continuar.
Less is More - O F.O.R.O.

Um fórum em defesa da Tirania, do Ódio, da Destruição, do Horror Sagrado e do Rock'n'Roll (não necessariamente nessa ordem...)

InícioInício  Últimas imagensÚltimas imagens  RegistarRegistar  Entrar  

Pete Cosey (1943 - 2012)

Ir para baixo 
3 participantes
AutorMensagem
Kamikaze
Admin
Kamikaze

Pete Cosey (1943 - 2012) Empty
MensagemAssunto: Pete Cosey (1943 - 2012)   Pete Cosey (1943 - 2012) Icon_minitimeQui maio 31, 2012 2:01 pm

Pete Cosey (1943 - 2012) DSC04291

Chicago guitar genius Pete Cosey dead at 68

Guitar fans have had a rough couple of days. Yesterday brilliant folk and country guitarist Doc Watson died at age 89. This morning, according to the private Facebook page of fellow guitarist and collaborator Vernon Reid, Chicago's own Pete Cosey died at 68. Obituaries and remembrances for Watson have already appeared all over, and deservedly so—few instrumentalists so completely absorbed America's folk and country traditions, and fewer still brought such quiet virtuosity to them. Watson was a key catalyst in the folk revival after his discovery by producer Ralph Rinzler in 1960.

Pete Cosey, on the other hand, was a classic musician's musician; he's not especially well-known, though he played on tons of classic records. As such, word of his passing is traveling rather more slowly.

Cosey was a key session musician at Chess Records in the 60s, appearing on sides by Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, the Rotary Connection, and Etta James, and he worked with the great Phil Cohran in the latter's Artistic Heritage Ensemble. He's probably most famous, though (to the extent that he's famous at all), for his mind-melting work with Miles Davis in the early 70s: he played on the trumpeter's heaviest, most electric albums, including Agharta, Pangaea, and Get Up With It. After Davis broke up the band in 1975 and went into semi-retirement, Cosey was never able to build the solo career he so richly deserved. He used his guitar like an abstract expressionist painter, creating thick, richly textured solos with fierce rhythmic power, dazzling colors, and nonchalant violence. He continued to appear on records here and there, including Herbie Hancock's Future Shock and an album with Japanese saxophonist Akira Sakata, but he always seemed to be planning his own next project, which never quite materialized.

I've written two columns about Cosey during my tenure at the Reader, one in 1997 and one in 2003, and the interviews I had with him over the years were some of the most enjoyable, cordial, and informative I've ever conducted. Cosey had remarkable recall, peppering every talk we had with fascinating, hilarious anecdotes. Below you can check out a clip of him with Davis in 1973—he's the seated guy with the large beard and cool shades. When his playing (on a 12-string!) kicks in at the five-minute mark, prepare to be blown away.

Um verdadeiro MONSTRO SAGRADO da guitarra elétrica, sem sombra de dúvidas. Confiram, por exemplo, dois de seus trabalhos com Miles Davis:

(o DEMONÍACO solo de Cosey começa por volta 4:45)

R.I.P

Reza1 Reza1 Reza1 Reza1 Reza1 Reza1 Reza1 Reza1 Reza1 Reza1 Reza1 Reza1 Reza1 Reza1 Reza1 Reza1 Reza1 Reza1 Reza1 Reza1 Reza1 Reza1 Reza1
Ir para o topo Ir para baixo
Mr Mac

Mr Mac

MensagemAssunto: Re: Pete Cosey (1943 - 2012)   Pete Cosey (1943 - 2012) Icon_minitimeSex Jun 01, 2012 3:25 am

R.I.P. Crying or Very sad
Vai tentando ai Vernon Reid que vc chega lá.
Kollaps

Kollaps

MensagemAssunto: Re: Pete Cosey (1943 - 2012)   Pete Cosey (1943 - 2012) Icon_minitimeDom Jun 03, 2012 7:18 am

LENDÁRIO. Mais um que se foi. RIP.
Convidado
Convidado

MensagemAssunto: Re: Pete Cosey (1943 - 2012)   Pete Cosey (1943 - 2012) Icon_minitimeDom Jun 03, 2012 9:01 pm

mór-réu, só acontece com qüem tá vivo BlackMetav
Conteúdo patrocinado

MensagemAssunto: Re: Pete Cosey (1943 - 2012)   Pete Cosey (1943 - 2012) Icon_minitime

Pete Cosey (1943 - 2012)
Ir para o topo 
Página 1 de 1